How To Change Mac Address In Android Phone Without Root
Rahul JhaLast Updated On: March 18, 2018
Change Mac Address In Android Phone Without Root – Media Access Control address or the Mac address is unique for each device and sometimes you need to change it in order to have more flexibility in operating of your device. But before telling how to Change Mac Address In Android, let’s understand what it is actually and how can you spoof mac address.
What is this MAC address?
This is nothing but a unique 12 character identifier associated with any hardware you possess. It is to identify the device. It is used to identify a particular device on Internet connection and local area network. Many workplaces or institute use this for the authentication of your device to be connected to their internet of Wi-Fi.
What is the need to Change Mac Address In Android?
There might be many answers to this question but the frequent answer I have listed here on where you will need to change your MAC address android.
- One of the most cited reason is the privacy. It is open and even a hacker can see it. There are many networks where there are an IP based address and the moment you go offline the hacker can see your data and use your Mac address imitating you and can access your personal details.
- The privacy can also be compromised as it is not safe to access the public network and they might get you Mac address easily.
- Internet providers also use the MAC address to connect you and authenticate your connection with the device with the help of Mac address. There are the cases that your internet is not working and you get the new one, and you can notice that the new network doesn’t work as good as the previous one because this has a new Mac address. The solution to this problem is to change the Mac address of the new to the old one and the card is ready to use!
Steps To Change Mac Address In Android Phone | Spoof mac address Android
But how can we change this Mac address? Follow these simple steps mentioned below and the work is done with ease by mac changer android.
Before going to the main part let me tell you that there are two ways to do that:
- Without rooting the device.
- With root access to the device.
You can opt for either of the methods and both are simple to administer. Let’s have a look on both the method one by one.
First of all, you have to check the availability of the root on your phone. Even if you are sure about the having root option on your device, still check further to avoid any problem. You can download the root checker from Google Play Store. This app is free and simple to use. Open the app and tap on “verify root” option and your device’s root availability will be in front of you.
Now after being aware of the root status let’s begin the process.
Without rooting the device
If your device cannot be root, still you can change your Mac address. Just follow these instructions step by step to change the Mac address.
- Know the Mac address of your Mobile. For this, you have to go the Settings and scroll down to “about my phone” option. Here you will find the Mac address of your phone. Now touch on “select status”. Press this option long to copy this address as you may need it.
- Now go to Play Store and download the app Android Terminal Emulator.
- Now open the App and type the ‘ip link show’.
- Find the name of your interface from the given list. Type this command with the interface name in the app. Now type ‘ip link set interface name Mac address. This match address in command will the Mac address to which you want to change the old one.
- Now you have to check and verify if you have to change the Mac address properly.
But there are some limitations to this method. First, it works on the device with the mediate processor. If you don’t have this processor it will not be going to take you anywhere. The second limitation is that it is not a permanent change. Once you restart your phone, this will lead you to original Mac address.
With Root Access to your device
If your android device is rooted then only you should try this. The root is not only the thing in this method. The second thing you will need is the Busybox. You have to install the Busybox application. Now just open the application, install it with a simple process by tapping on “install” option. This method will also make use of “terminal window” app we talked about in the previous section.
Now let’s assume you are done with both the applications and you have also checked your device for root access. Now you just have to follow below-mentioned steps carefully:
- You have to open the “terminal window” app and type the command ‘su’ and press the enter button from your keyboard.
- Allow the app to access your device by tapping the “allow” option which popped up on the screen.
- If you don’t know the interface of your current network then type ‘ip link show’ and press enter button. Note down the interface name of your network. Let’s assume the interface name is ‘zer0’.
- Now type the command ‘busybox ip link show zer0’. Now hit the enter button. And your current Mac address will be shown. This is an important piece of information.
- Now to change your MAC address, you have to type the command ‘busybox ifconfig zer0hw ether 00:00:00:11:11:11’ (this is the new address which you wanted to opt for your device). Now hit the enter button.
- Congratulations! You are successful in changing your Mac address. But if you want to be sure about the change, enter a command ‘busybox iplink show zer0’. The new Mac address will be displayed to you.
One more thing you must know that the Mac address changed with the help of this method is not temporary it will be assigned permanently to your device. Hence this was the method we had to Change Mac Address In Android. If you face any issues while doing these steps then do comment below and we shall try to help you as soon as possible.