Fix Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working In Windows – People have reportedly encountered the issue of com surrogate error message while they were browsing media files and video folders. Some of them have claimed that the com surrogate error popped in the middle of nowhere while they were giving the print command to the system. Com surrogate refers to a host process that runs in the background while the user is navigating folders and files in the system. The process crashes the entire workability of the system. The random error popping up on the screen devastates the User experience.
There can be several reasons why one might face com surrogate error code. It can be because of corrupt Codecs that are being used to view the media. Here are some of the easiest methods to fix com surrogate error-
- 1 Encountering Corrupt System Files
- 2 Using The Previous Display Adaptor Driver
- 3 Linking dllhost.exe With DEP Exception
- 4 Re-registering DLLs once again
- 5 Select Disk And Check For Any Errors
- 6 Updating Codecs To Fix Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working
- 7 Resetting Internet Browser / Internet Explorer
- 8 Check Out Antivirus In Your PC
- 9 Checking USB
- 10 Few Other Solutions To Fix COM Surrogate has Stopped Working
- 11 Conclusion
Encountering Corrupt System Files
The primary method to Fix com surrogate error in Windows 10 is by scanning the corrupt files in your system and then fixes up the issue. If it is not possible, the best would be to move on to the next methods.
Any good scanner would be good to find out the corrupted files and repair them.
Using The Previous Display Adaptor Driver
Doing this is really simple, all you need is to hold the windows key and simultaneously press R. You will see a run dialogue box where you have to type HDWWIZ.CPL and hit ok option.
Move downwards towards the display adaptor section located within the device manager. Press right clicks upon it and chooses property option.
Select roll back driver and move on with the instructions available on your screen. In exceptional cases, the option turns grey in color in such a scenario, you have to choose the below-mentioned steps to find out Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working Windows 10 start menu.
Linking dllhost.exe With DEP Exception
Firstly, go to your control panel > system > Advanced system settings > Performance settings > Data Execution Prevention.
In order to Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working fix, you need to, first of all, choose “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.
The next step is to click upon “Add” option and navigate C drive of your Windows system and add-on dllhost.exe. Which you can easily find at (C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe) on 32-bit Windows Machine and on a 64-bit machine, add (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dllhost.exe).
After all the process has been executed, save the applied changes.
Re-registering DLLs once again
Follow this method to Fix Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working in Windows 10 using DLLs. Click upon start option and type cmd; now right click on it and select run as administrator from the results.
You will see a command prompt screen now. Enter these two keys one by one
Hit enter right after it and press ok.
Select Disk And Check For Any Errors
com surrogate has stopped working windows 10 1703 error commonly occurs when you try to access a particular file saved in a drive. In such a case, you should scan that drive for any issues. Alternatively, you can perform the following steps –
- Step 1– Hold windows key and immediately press E
- Step 2– Hit up on this PC option located on the left pane for viewing the drives. Right-click upon the hard disk drive that you wish to select.
- Step 3 – Select properties and click upon tools tab from the top and hit check now located under error checking option.
- Step 4 – Check both the options.
- Step 5 – Click start at last
Updating Codecs To Fix Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working
Yet another method which is manual that can help you to get away from the com surrogate has stopped working is by updating all the Codecs present in Windows PC. The most updated and the latest version have to be selected while you uninstall the previous one. You can download and install the latest version of Windows Codec pack from the link below.
- Windows 7 Codec Pack: http://www.windows7codecs.com/
- Windows 8 & 10 Codec Pack: http://www.windows8codecs.com/
Instead of selecting any method to get them while sharing, choose the internet for the latest update.
Resetting Internet Browser / Internet Explorer
The issue is often encountered because of accumulated cache files. The corrupt cache files can create a lot of hindrance in the performance of the PC. The best is to reset Internet Explorer by holding the windows key and pressing r. Right after a popup appears, type intelcpl.cpl in the empty box and hit upon ok.
The next step would be to visit the advanced tab and there you would find the reset option which should be selected right away. Make sure that you check out the personal setting delete option while hitting the reset button.
Once you reset Internet Explorer, it’s time to reboot your laptop / PC and check out whether the pop-up error of com surrogate has stopped working Windows 10 start menu has been evacuated or not.
Check Out Antivirus In Your PC
com surrogate has stopped working windows 10 start menu Often arises because of antivirus malfunctioning in your laptop / PC. Despite following the above-mentioned methods if you still happened to see the error, it’s time to disable the antivirus installed in your laptop.
Just make sure that either the Antivirus has been disabled or the latest version has been installed. Probably this would solve the error.
Com surrogate stopped check for disk error can often arrive if your drive or external USB has some issue. It’s quite possible for you to face not working sectors for that you need to perform chkdsk for ensuring that everything is working just the way it is expected.
Few Other Solutions To Fix COM Surrogate has Stopped Working
- The installed antivirus should be updated and belong to the latest version.
- In case you are using Nero, upgrade it right away.
- Disable thumbnail previews for ensuring that the problem gets an optimal solution and never reoccurs.
- Try choosing restore codecs package or update all the existing Codecs to the latest and correct version.
- the easiest Ways is to disable Codecs from the system that is often helpful and troubleshooting the problem.
- Turning off dep for dllHoST is also about my options for com surrogate has stopped working fix.
At last but not the least, you can install PC repair tool for repairing common errors and protecting your PC against Malware and viruses. The software quickly Encounters PC issues and prevents them from reappearing in future.
Hence this is all we got today to share with you regarding “com surrogate has stopped working” error. Hope these methods helped you resolved your problem. Please do leave a comment below if you are still facing the issue and we shall try to assist you in resolving it as soon as possible.